Youth Tour Program
ATTENTION HIGH SCHOOL JUNIORS!
Rural Electric Youth Tour
June 12-17, 2016
Want a fun trip? As a high school junior, you have the opportunity to be one of several lucky students from our service area to attend the annual Rural Electric Youth Tour.
The Youth Tour program was started in 1957 when Texas Senator Lyndon Johnson asked groups of students from his state to come and visit Washington D.C. and see the United States government in action. Other states sent students in the following years. The National Rural Electric Association (NRECA) coordinated a national program in 1964.
Youth Tour not only offers a great educational experience, but a chance to meet new people and have a fun filled visit to our nation’s capital! It is also all-expenses-paid! This is a national event, with over 1,600 students from 42 states participating.
REA Energy will be sending up to nine high school juniors from our service area on the tour. To be eligible, the student’s parents/guardians must be members of the cooperative. Cooperative employees may attend as chaperones.
Finalists will be selected based on their academic achievement, in-school and extracurricular activities, leadership skills, and an interview.
Rules for the 2016 Youth Tour Competition
1. Competition is open to high school juniors whose parents or legal guardians are members of REA Energy Cooperative, Inc.
2. A student information packet will be mailed to you to fill out. For more information on this you can call 724-349-4800 and ask to speak to Stacy Patterson or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. The packet will include instructions, a student information sheet, and final guidelines.
4. The student information must be completed, and along with a recent school photo and current school transcripts returned to REA Energy.
5. Mail your packet to Stacy Patterson, c/o REA Energy Cooperative, Inc., P. O. Box 70, Indiana, PA 15701-0070.
6. All student packets must be received no later than February 8, 2016.
7. Finalists will be selected based on academic achievement, activities in and out of school, their interview, leadership potential, and if they will be a good school and cooperative representative.
8. The finalists will be notified no later than February 11, 2016. Finalists will then be interviewed. Out of the finalists, students will be selected as REA Energy’s Youth Tour representatives and attend the tour.
9. Decision of the judges is final.
10. For more information, see your school’s guidance counselor or call REA Energy at 724/349-4800 or toll free 1-800-211-5667. You can also e-mail REA Energy at email@example.com.
Youth Tour Includes:
- An all-expense paid trip to Washington, D.C.
- Tour of our nation’s capital.
- Visits with federal legislators.
- Visits to famous landmark sites including the Lincoln Memorial and Washington Monument.
- A visit to the Smithsonian Institute.
- Trip to the National Zoo.
- Excellent opportunity to meet with other students from all across the nation.
- Great educational opportunity and fun filled week of adventure.
- Tour dates: June 12-17, 2015.
- All expenses are paid; tour participants only need to bring money for souvenirs and extra snacks.
Click on the picture below for more information on the Youth Tour.